Thursday, February 14, 2013

Moving In

I live in Brooklyn now.  I got a job and a place to sleep.  Easy.

The kitchen is furnished with a fancy pepper grinder, a flask, and a cookie cutter shaped like the upper peninsula.  I might pick up a muffin pan today if I see one that tickles my fancy.  I have the day off, so I'm going to JB Prince.  I guess it's a kitchen supply store with all good things.  I need some tweezers.

I live with Diana and a cat.  I've forgotten the cat's name, but I'm going to call it Pololo until he corrects me.

I cook on the JV team at a place called Nougatine.  When I make Varsity, I'll cook at Jean Georges.  The prep areas are the same for the two restaurants.  Jean Georges line is a floor above Nougatine's line.  When I was hired they said, "Every day is a competition.  The chefs are watching you all the time.  If you're the cleanest, fastest, and best cook down here, you'll be moved up as soon as there's an opening."  So that sets the scene for my work environment in the months to come.  I don't think that part will be too stressful, though.  I've experienced similar circumstances.  My biggest problem is trying to keep my tiny, sailboat-shaped, paper hat in place on my huge noggin without ripping the paper. 

No comments:

Post a Comment